Academic exercises (was: Re: [lug] File modification)

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Mar 14 04:07:58 MST 2002

Ignoring any judgements on Chris's situation, I'd just like to make an
observation...  It may be useful to consider...

The people I've worked with on software projects, who were fresh out of
school (at the bachelors and masters levels) were developing code which
looked to me like they were still turning in programs which had to work
once and would never be looked at again.

Unfortunately, school just doesn't really seem to promote developing
quality software.  I remember being quite disappointed in my first
programming class (AP Pascal).  The instructor asked at one point for ideas
for our final project.  I suggested that throughout the semester we develop
components, and the final would be assembling them into a text editor.
That suggestion was immediately discarded.  Which was unfortunate...

As far as hours, deadlines, and people to delegate to, I think that
University is probably a good indication of what to expect in industry,
particularly right now...  As an entry-level programmer, you're going to
have things delegated to you, not be delegating them on to others.

Ask the person who hasn't had a job interview in 5 months about the hours
and deadlines on his new job which has mandatory 6 days work weeks for the
first 2 years because it's a start-up...  If you think this is far-fetched,
I provided a professional reference for this person on Monday...

Just food for thought...

Sean
--
 "You're thinking of Mr. Wizard."  "[Emilio Lizardo's] a top scientist,
 dumbkopf."  "So was Mr. Wizard."  -- _Buckaroo_Banzai_