Academic exercises (was: Re: [lug] File modification)

Mark Horning rip6 at rip6.net
Thu Mar 14 17:47:50 MST 2002

Chip Atkinson wrote:

>Moving on to the topic of the last paragraph....
>
>What are people finding out there in the employment world?  I had an

It's a tough job market right now. I just found out today I've been given a
3 to 4 month reprieve . My last day was supposed to be the 29th. (I somehow
managed to survive due to 'business need'. I'm the only one who they have
that has maintained and implemented this little piece of code used account
wide......and I'm an SA....go figure.... I don't think they even realize
that I'm
the only one left on the account who knows our EMC Celerra, NIS, or our
dmz/firewall servers  which is where they really should be
worried........bean
counters, sheesh......). There are only two of us contractors left on
the account
as 3 are being let go this Friday and 6 were let go last Friday and they
may be
reducing the regular employees as well. They would like to hire me but at a
"reduced band level and pay rate". With the way things are I'll probably
take it.

But I digress....back to your question. I think neworking may be the
best way to
find employment right now. From those I've talked to it appears to be
more of a
'who you know' as opposed to a 'what you know' market. Some 'analysts'
may be
painting a rosy picture but from the half a dozen or so people I know
out there
looking right now, it's not pretty.....

Mark

--