[lug] Samba in business

Harris, James James_Harris at maxtor.com
Fri Mar 15 16:29:04 MST 2002

Are you running Active Directory Native mode on your 2000 domain, or is it
mixed mode?  That might be your only major catch.

I have been using Samba for a few years now and haven't had any issues with
it, however, I can not speak as to whether or not it will integrate well
with Active Directory.  I seem to think that it does not (unless you are
completely crazy and try to use M$'s Unix compatibility stuff.)  Disclaimer:
I'm speaking based on cursory knowledge.  (a.k.a. out of my posterior.)

I believe that your concerns for patches suddenly breaking a system is
valid.  However, so far I have not seen it happen on my Windows 2000 system
yet (I use it with a Samba server heavily every day.)

Unfortunately I can't offer any more opinion than that.  If it was a Window
NT 4.0 based domain, I would highly recommend going to Samba/Linux.  It
works wonders when running in that environment.

Someday I'll get about to testing it with AD, but for now, that's all I
know.  Anyone else have any experience with Samba and AD yet, I'd love to
hear about it.

Regards,
Jim Harris