Academic exercises (was: Re: [lug] File modification)

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Mar 17 22:56:20 MST 2002

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 12:59:10PM -0500, John Karns wrote:
>only it wasn't from people just out of school.  There was pressure to get
>the program done with virtually no consideration given to maintainability
>of the code afterward.  In fact, one of the lead people created a core

I had been developing software for nearly a decade when I took a job doing
third tier support of an application.  A *BAD* application.  There were two
of us doing support on it, and we literally couldn't take lunch together
because the system couldn't run without being touched for the 45 minutes it
took to have lunch...

Spending a year doing that has done more to improve my programming than
anything I've done.

Sean
--
 A smart terminal is not a smart*ass* terminal, but rather a terminal
 you can educate.  -- Rob Pike