[lug] OT: Wiring recommendations?

LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu
Mon Mar 18 11:03:21 MST 2002

I can't recommend someone to do the work (I like to do a lot of that stuff
myself), but I can tell you whom to STAY AWAY from!

I just bought a brand new house in Longmont, and the builder contracted TIKOMM
wiring to do the telephone, cable, and Cat5e network lines.  When I moved in,
my two phone lines were crossed in the house, and NONE of the network jacks
were wired correctly.  The "home run" box in the basement was a MESS, with bare
telephone wires showing (potential shorting problems); one of the cable lines
had a bad connecter on it (the cable shielding was shorted to the center wire,
such that when you LOOKED at the connector, you could plainly see it was
shorted).

So, I recommed AGAINST TIKOMM wiring!

Viggy

Elyse Grasso wrote:

> I would like to hire someone to do some wiring in my house:
>
> 1) replace old non-standard phone wiring with decent stuff, replace wall
jacks
> 2) add phone jacks in a few places that don't have them
> 3) put home theater speaker wires inside the walls, so I can stop tripping on
> them
> 4) cable the house with cat5e, so I can stop tripping on network cables
> 5) possibly, reorganize coax connection from satellite dish to TV.
>
> I have no attic or overhead crawl space, but do have an almost full basement
> under most of the places where new wiring needs to go (one speaker wire may
> be tricky to do without a lot of damage to the drywall). The cat5e can
> go all the same places as the phones lines,
>
> Can anyone recommend someone who is good at these kinds of wiring projects in
> exisitng structures? I have remodeling money immediately available, and would
> like to get the wiring done before I get bids on drywall work, painting, etc.
>
> Thanks

Elyse

     This message was sent from Peak to Peak Internet.
 DSL - V.90 modems - Web Hosting and Business connectivity
          Please visit!  http://www.peakpeak.com
                    (888)-600-PEAK