[lug] OT: Wiring recommendations?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Mar 18 19:56:02 MST 2002

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 10:45:22AM -0700, Elyse Grasso wrote:
>1) replace old non-standard phone wiring with decent stuff, replace wall jacks
>2) add phone jacks in a few places that don't have them
>3) put home theater speaker wires inside the walls, so I can stop tripping on
>them

We ran a bunch of wire around our place, and what we ended up doing is
pulling off the baseboards and routing out a channel behind them, then
running the cable in them.  Then punch a hole in the gyprock where we
want a jack and use a remodeling box to make it all look really nice.

They have these cable management systems that are plastic moldings that you
can mount on the wall and run cable through.  They're nice and cheap and
let you run new cables at any time.

>4) cable the house with cat5e, so I can stop tripping on network cables

How about 802.11b wireless?  Before I got wireless, I thought it would just
be a neat toy.  Now I can't imagine living without it...

Sean
--
 "Bill and Ted on cryptography: If you are really us...  What number are we
 thinking of?" -- Sean Reifschneider, 1998