Windows 2000 server RE: [lug] NIC Question

Fred Robinson fred.robinson at sipfusion.com
Tue Mar 19 06:14:25 MST 2002

jd,
Unfortunately I haven't found anyone to date who had info on a driver/Linux
Daemon to run the Hugh's Networks Satellite modem.

As such I'm setting up a Windows 2000 box as the satellite interface/gateway
and connecting my Linux box via Ethernet for Internet connectivity.

Conversely, you mentioned a NAT, I would expect the server to do DHCP with
clients automatically?  Can anyone confirm that Windows 2000 will
automatically do DHCP?

Does anyone have experience/advice for setting up a Windows 2000 server
(proxy actually), I've never setup this configuration before?  Should it be
as simple as connecting the W2K server to the Internet via the USB satellite
modem, and connecting the server to the network PC via ethernet, and the
server will negotiate an IP address with the client without any
custom/specific configuration settings on the W2K server machine or network
PC?

 Fred Robinson
Operator, SIPFusion
  sipfusion

(SIPFusion is a not for profit business development project)
558 Copperdale Ln.
Golden, CO 80403
fred.robinson at sipfusion.com
office: 303.642.8061