Windows 2000 server RE: [lug] NIC Question

LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu
Tue Mar 19 08:42:24 MST 2002

I'm assuming that Win2k Server is similar to Win2K Workstation as far as
networking goes.

I'm not familar with Hugh's Networks Sat Modem, but if you have to setup a
"dial-up" connection (i.e. it's a PPP over Sat. connection), then you should be
able to use Microsoft's ICS, "Internet Connection Sharing" option.  Select the
dial-up connection in the "Network and Dial Up Connections" control panel
applet.  Right click on the dial-up connection, and bring up "Properties".
Now, select the "Sharing" tab, and turn on "Internet Connection Sharing".  If I
remember correctly, Windows will assign IP addys to *ALL* machines on your LAN,
and wa-la, you're on line.  I briefly looked around at this feature, and it
looks like it will only work with dial-up connections, and only one dial-up
conection at a time.

Personally, I've heard mixed things about ICS.  Some people get it working
great, some don't.  Also, I'm running Win98 on one of my machines, and ICS in
Win98 was very shoddy.  So, I went and purchased NAT32 (http://www.nat32.com).
It's a great little NAT program that runs on all Windows machines.  It's not
limited to dial-up connections, and the Plus version will support up to 8
adapters.  It even has built in packet tracing to track down problems.

Good luck on whatever route you take.

Viggy

Fred Robinson wrote:

> jd,
> Unfortunately I haven't found anyone to date who had info on a driver/Linux
> Daemon to run the Hugh's Networks Satellite modem.
>
> As such I'm setting up a Windows 2000 box as the satellite interface/gateway
> and connecting my Linux box via Ethernet for Internet connectivity.
>
> Conversely, you mentioned a NAT, I would expect the server to do DHCP with
> clients automatically?  Can anyone confirm that Windows 2000 will
> automatically do DHCP?
>
> Does anyone have experience/advice for setting up a Windows 2000 server
> (proxy actually), I've never setup this configuration before?  Should it be
> as simple as connecting the W2K server to the Internet via the USB satellite
> modem, and connecting the server to the network PC via ethernet, and the
> server will negotiate an IP address with the client without any
> custom/specific configuration settings on the W2K server machine or network
> PC?
>
>  Fred Robinson
> Operator, SIPFusion

sipfusion

     This message was sent from Peak to Peak Internet.
 DSL - V.90 modems - Web Hosting and Business connectivity
          Please visit!  http://www.peakpeak.com
                    (888)-600-PEAK