[lug] Update on ISART 2002

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Tue Mar 19 10:12:11 MST 2002

I keep meaning to make a few comments on the ISART 2002 conference we held
here at the DOC Labs two weeks ago.  This conference was designed to be a
crossroads between the RF spectrum regulators, policy makers, research
engineers, and businesses.  The idea was to see look at the current state
of the telecommunications and wireless industry and identify emerging
technologies with an eye towards seeing where things might be headed in
the future.  In particular, one question of interest is the economics of
wireless and broadband communications and who exactly pays for these
services?  Another way of putting this is - how is the Internet paid for?

I'm happy to say the conference turned out very well.  The presentations
and discussions covered topics from spectrum regulation and usage, the
implications of ultrawideband technology, software defined radio, smart
antennas, development of 3G and 4G wireless, the deployment of 802.11
wireless networking, and the current work being done on the 802.16
wireless networking standards.  Many of the presentation slides are now
available online at
<http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/meetings/art/art02/slides02/speakers02.html>.

One thing I found particularly interesting was the appearance of Linux in
some of the talks.  For example, Dr. Stafford of ITS indicated in his
presentation on "Wireless Network Discovery"
<http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/meetings/art/art02/slides02/sta/sta_slides.pdf>
noted that ITS is using Linux in their measurement setup.  Dr. Hirt from
the IBM Zurich Research Laboratory approached the topic of ultrawideband
communications from the point of view of an RF engineer working on the
development of the Linux wristwatch
<http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/meetings/art/art02/slides02/hir/hir_slides.pdf>
- VERY COOL!

We are currently waiting to see about sponsorship for the 2003 ISART, but
anticipate that it will again be held the first week in March.  One of the
underlying questions for the 2003 conference will almost certainly be
wireless network security.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)