[lug] image to pdf?

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Tue Mar 19 11:13:45 MST 2002

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, D. Stimits wrote:

> What would be the recommended means of taking a color image and creating
> a pdf from it on linux? I have the image in multiple formats, though eps
> is not one of them. Is this "a job for LaTeX"? Or some other utility?

LaTeX isn't particularly well suited for directly converting just an image
to pdf.  You'd have to embed the image in a document and then process the
that to pdf form.  It would work, but there are image to pdf conversion
utilities that preclude the creation of a LaTeX document file.  To see
what is installed on your system you could type:

   man -k pdf | more

and see what turns up.  The obvious question would be - what kind of
format do you have now, and what image software are you using to create or
view it?  Chances are good you could save the image as eps or ps and use
epstopdf or ps2pdf for example.  Chances are also good that the Gimp may
have a pdf plug-in for creating pdf formated files.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)