[lug] image to pdf?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Mar 19 11:12:56 MST 2002

"J. Wayde Allen" wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, D. Stimits wrote:
>
> > What would be the recommended means of taking a color image and creating
> > a pdf from it on linux? I have the image in multiple formats, though eps
> > is not one of them. Is this "a job for LaTeX"? Or some other utility?
>
> LaTeX isn't particularly well suited for directly converting just an image
> to pdf.  You'd have to embed the image in a document and then process the
> that to pdf form.  It would work, but there are image to pdf conversion
> utilities that preclude the creation of a LaTeX document file.  To see
> what is installed on your system you could type:
>
>    man -k pdf | more

Lots of docbook/SGML stuff, but I have no idea how to embed graphics
into docbook/SGML (I suspect it is similar in difficulty to embedding in
LaTeX).

> and see what turns up.  The obvious question would be - what kind of
> format do you have now, and what image software are you using to create or
> view it?  Chances are good you could save the image as eps or ps and use
> epstopdf or ps2pdf for example.  Chances are also good that the Gimp may
> have a pdf plug-in for creating pdf formated files.

I have it in jpep, tiff, and targa. A gimp conversion to postscript was
ugly. It is created on a windows app called Cinema 4D XL (animation
software), then rendered into a realtime format, and exported. Most of
the export formats are windows-centric, but I am doing to rest of the
changes in gimp or other apps on Linux. A pdf plugin for gimp would be
idea, I have not run into one though. I would *really* like a pdf plugin
for gimp. I will look for one, but in case that fails, how hard is it to
embed an image into a LaTeX document? I'd be willing to do that just for
practice/learning.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com