[lug] RPM --rebuild question

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Mar 19 13:13:37 MST 2002

D> I have an rpm in source format, designed for Redhat. I'm doing a
D> --rebuild, but it says in the stage that works with configure: For
D> your convenience, here's a summary of configure's results: Support
D> for shared libraries: yes C++ language binding for PDFlib: no

D> Now this might actually be some other issue with what comes in the
D> download lib, that it doesn't support C++ language bindings. But it
D> leads me to the question, is there a way in a source rpm to
D> directly tell it to run the configure stage with --help? Can I tell
D> an rpm package directly to give me the output of "./configure
D> --help" from inside the project? If I wanted to pass a configure
D> option during the rebuild, "./configure --with-foo-bar", can I do
D> this? Obviously rpm has its own options, but can I access configure
D> script options of autoconf directly (I'm wondering in general, not
D> just for this particular pdflib rpm)?

What I do in this situation is:

rpm -ivh foo.src.rpm

(this installs the source rpm).

rpm -bp /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/foo.spec

(this does a "prep" on the package. Unpacks it, applys patches, etc)

cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/foo-version/

./configure --help

Then you can look at the configure help and see what you want to do.
When you find the options you want to modify or add:

vi /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/foo.spec

look for the configure call and add or remove those options.
Then:

rpm -ba /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/foo.spec

to build new binary and src rpms from that spec file.

kevin
--
Kevin Fenzi
MTS, tummy.com, ltd.