[lug] Red Hat Network Experience?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Mar 19 13:38:54 MST 2002

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 12:33:13PM -0700, Rob Nagler wrote:
> Anybody have experience with the Red Hat Network?  I'm thinking of
> using it for about 30 machines.

Running it on several personal machines.  Like it a lot.  :-)

I think you could run into strange interactions if you don't stick with
RedHat's RPM packages for things or rebuild stuff yourself like Perl,
but in general if you're doing a farm of machines that you just want to
keep updates done on with latest patches, etc -- it seems to work well.

Haven't used any of their grouping stuff for "Enterprise" level support
yet.  I assume they have a way for a series of admins to log in and deal
with their own group of machines while the overall admin account can see
the "big picture" but I'm not sure if that's really what the group
features do or not.  I guess it could also be so you can group
functionally equivalent machines like the Web farm, the mail servers,
the file servers, etc.

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>