Academic exercises (was: Re: [lug] File modification)

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Tue Mar 19 14:47:23 MST 2002

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, John Karns wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Sean Reifschneider said:
>
> > Unfortunately, lots of folks also feel that anything not about Linux
> > is off-topic, and without an offtopic mailing list to move these sorts
> > of things to, everybody loses...
>
> Perhaps an off-topic list is a good idea.

I personally don't insist that all discussions here revolve 100% around
Linux.  As noted, there are a number of topics, not explicitly Linux
related, that are certainly worth discussing on a Linux list.  My reason
for suggesting some restraint on the thread at hand had more to do with
the fact that the thread primarily revolved around the perceived fairness
between a student and a professor's grading policies.  We simply don't
have all the facts from both sides to serve as effective judges on this
sort of matter, nor is it something we probably want to get involved with.

Additionally, the trend at that time also looked like we might have been
headed towards a flame war about what is appropriate versus not
appropriate to teach, etc..  I only asked for some restraint to prevent
this from happening.

As for off-topic lists go ... don't they already exist?  Pretty much
any list dealing with something not remotely Linux related would
qualify so this is a pretty vague wish.  I do know that there are already
lists involved with the discussion of training and education on various
topics if that is what is desired?

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)