[lug] Red Hat Network Experience?

Riggs, Rob RRiggs at doubleclick.net
Tue Mar 19 15:02:32 MST 2002

That's not a valid line of reasoning. I would highly doubt that Red Hat
keeps their GPG keys on publicly accessible machines. It would be extremely
foolish to do so. The private GPG key that signs Red Hat's packages is very
likely kept on a secure build system.

The whole purpose of signing packages is that it is very difficult to keep a
publicly accessible machine 100% secure, and one must assume that it will at
some point be compromised and have legitimate packages replaced with
trojaned versions. The GPG signature gives one the ability to verify that
the packages one downloads from insecure sites were built by a trusted
source.

-Rob