[lug] Linux client for Win2000 VPN server

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Wed Mar 20 05:56:05 MST 2002

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 01:43:40PM -0600, Richard Fifarek wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know what tool(s) I should be using to connect from my Linux
> > boxes at home into a Windows 2000 VPN server?
>
> 	FreeS/WAN (http://www.freeswan.org) might help here, although your
> connection might require a different config than your PPTP collegues.

Are you shure about that? FreeS/WAN is an IPSEC implemetation (i.e.
encryption on the IP level), PPTP is a tunneling protocol that en-
crypts TCP packets and wraps them into TCP packets. IMHO IPSEC is much
more secure than PPTP and FreeS/Wan improved quite a bit during the last
half year (X.509 certificats are supported etc.), but it might be painfull
to set up in an MS-World (Win2000 does actually have a pretty decent IPSEC
implementation).

  Ralf Mattes