[lug] cheap 802.11b for linux...

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Thu Mar 21 07:57:32 MST 2002

> The sputnik stuff, a D-Link card mixed with with a TNC connector on the back
> based on the Prism II chipset (D-link makes a PCI Prism II chipset card with
> a real honest to goodness professional RF connector on it, amazingly
> enough.)   Then...

Is this an RP-TNC?  I bought 10 of these, if anybody wants to do
experimenting.   They are about $8 each, and amazingly hard to find.
I bought mine from http://www.pasternack.com/ but they have a minimum
order of $100.

> A little hardline, N-connectors, SHORT coax jumpers (the loss out of coax at
> 2.4 Ghz is incredible) and a soldering gun to make it all play... and a
> vertical antenna... voila... neighborhood 802.11b.

Well, it is not so easy in my experience.  When the current Ice Age is
over, I'll be climbing on my roof to see if it works better higher up.

Does anybody know where I can buy antenna mounts?  I've got a vertical
which I could mount to the roof, but I think five feet would give me
better range.  A good source for cheap grounding cable would be
appreciated, too. 8-)

Also, where does one by surplus Russian military antennas?  I keep
reading about them, but haven't found a cheap source for them.

Rob