[lug] OT: Avaya Card Performance -- Was: cheap 802.11b for linux...

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Mar 21 10:02:13 MST 2002

Archer Sully wrote:

>On Thursday 21 March 2002 01:21 am, rise wrote:
>
>>I suspect their range isn't going to be as good as an Orinoco or Symbol
>>card and they lack the external antenna connector.
>>

>My Avaya has absolutely terrible sensitivity w/out an external antenna.  I'm
>lucky to get a signal strength of 40 when I'm sitting just a couple feet from
>an AP.

When you say "signal strength of 40" what do you mean?  Is that a
percentage or is that the linux 40/92 thing from iwconfig?

If you have the Windows client, go into the advanced stuff and look at
the Signal to Noise ratio.  What you might actually be seeing in
iwconfig is a composite number that gives "link quality" (whatever that
is) and S/N readings may show that the noise floor in your location is
so high that the AP is doing its job fine -- it just can't be heard over
the interference.  It's an unlicenced ISM band and anything and
everything could be transmitting there, including the microwave oven, of
course.  :-)

I've seen phones, range extenders for video/audio, 802.11b, the older
802.11 standard (which interferes with 802.11b -- grin), and all sorts
of other stuff for 2.4 Ghz.  It's getting to be a busy band, and
considering it was "too high" for everyday use and generally unused just
a few years ago, it's a tribute to RF engineers that they're still
pushing the envelope on size, power, and frequency.

(Of course, some ham operators just made the world's first recorded
contact on 322 Ghz recently.  Heh heh... the "world's record" is like
170 feet there right now.  Hard to make a radio contact when the air
molecules are heating more than they're passing RF!  A 170 foot contact
reminds me just a little too much of the Verizon guy... "Can you hear me
now?  Gooood.")

Nate