[lug] DHCP Migration

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Thu Mar 21 13:12:01 MST 2002

Kyle Moore wrote:

> I am going to migrate my DHCP server from Win2k to Linux and have a
> couple of questions that weren't answered in the Mini-How-To.
>
> 1. Is pump or dhcpd the preferred server for ~300 Windows 2000 and
> Windows 98 clients?

Pump is a DHCP client package.  You'll need to use the dhcpd.  On my
system it is the dhcp RPM:

Name        : dhcp                         Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 2.0pl5                            Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 8                             Build Date: Sun 26 Aug 2001
04:51:28 PM MDT
Install date: Fri 11 Jan 2002 05:17:05 PM MST      Build Host:
porky.devel.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Daemons    Source RPM:
dhcp-2.0pl5-8.src.rpm
Size        : 220497                           License: distributable
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Summary     : A DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server and
relay agent.

> 2. How should I cut things over? Do I just shut down dhcp on the Windows
> server and have everyone reboot? Can I migrate over the current leases
> from Win2k to Linux?

You should be able to cut over without rebooting clients, AFAIK.

> NOTE: I'm also switching over our internal DNS from Win2k to Linux.
> Maybe I can get some sleep at night soon.

Way to go!

> Thanks
>
> --
> Kyle

   - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
  |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
  |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |