[lug] cheap 802.11b for linux...

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Thu Mar 21 13:58:08 MST 2002

> TNC isn't the most popular connector, and it is only somewhat better than
> a BNC.  At these frequencies neither is a very good connector.

No choice here.  The TNC is on the Linksys.  The BNC is on the
antenna ( http://www.superpass.com/SPDG16O.html )

Nate said something about wire.  I'm using RG-58, which I assume is
bad even for a less than 6ft?

I've built some power-over-ethernet modules.  My plan is to mount the
Linksys on the inside of the roof just below the antenna and so the
only coax would be the length from the antenna through the roof.

I thought about buying a casing, but frankly I can't see something
that's going to protect the Linksys in Boulder's climate.  I want to
be able to replicate the set up at the clients.  (I'm using the
Linksys in bridging mode.)

> Local sources seem to be limited to Radio Shack and marginally to the
> hardware stores such as Home Depot.  (Of course at the hardware store you
> can get parts to build your own mounting.)  Most of what you will find
> will be roof top tripods and chimney mounts.  Some of the electronic shops
> in Denver "might" have a bigger selection.  Outside of this there are a
> number of places on the web you can order parts from.  Not too many people
> seem to mount TV antennas anymore.  The hardware stores have grounding
> cable as well as grounding rods.

I've been to Saunders, and their grounding cable seems very
expensive.   I would like a roof tripod for my antenna.  I'm hoping to
get away with flat mounting the flat panels that the client sites.
All of this is subject experimentation.  :-)

Someone else mentioned weather as important factor.  What I found is
that obstacles, especially trees, are the key factors.  I need to test
the placement when the cottonwoods are full.

Does anybody recommend putting two antennas?  The Linksys allows you
to control which antenna you use.  My feeling is that all get more
loss by placing two antennas far apart than going with one antenna and
telling the Linksys to use only one.

There are three clients, so placement is tricky.  Two other clients
are about 500 feet away.  I've done some testing, and it sort of works
out a window.  I'm hoping to get better results when I go to the roof.

> > Also, where does one by surplus Russian military antennas?  I keep
> > reading about them, but haven't found a cheap source for them.
>
> Russia?

There is this guy who is getting a lot of press for is wireless
network in Aspen.  That's the first article.  The second article is
just interesting, because it is connected to Sun's lab in Aspen.
There are a lot of pictures.

http://lists.nycwireless.net/pipermail/nycwireless/2001q4/001339.html
http://www.key3media.com/interop/atlanta2000/presentations/General_Conference/Wireless/C8_Branscomb.pdf

Rob