[lug] cheap 802.11b for linux...

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Mar 21 15:06:23 MST 2002

Kevin Fenzi wrote:

>humm... that wasn't my experence. I was using an old alpha udb (two
>pcmcia slots :) for a wireless access point at my house for a while,
>and it was working fine at 11mb. ;)
>
>>From the orinoco driver page at
>http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Orinoco.html
>
># Lucent card support : fully functional. All the features of the
>various firmware revisions work properly.

I can't find anything that states that a Lucent Orinoco/ (whatever
they're called today) card can be put in true AP mode.  Only IBSS
Ad-Hoc, or the old Ad-Hoc modes as a base station.  I think IBSS Ad-Hoc
did 11Mb/s if I remember, and the old Ad-Hoc does a maximum of 2Mb/s.
 How'd you do it?!  :-)

>Nate> Of course the Lucent cards can do this, since the cards in their
>Nate> access points are the same cards you stuff in a laptop -- one of
>Nate> my Lucent cards even came out of my now-defunct (overheated)
>Nate> Apple AirPort base station...  they just won't allow the
>Nate> information about how to put the cards into the right mode out
>Nate> to the open-source/free world... something for the
>Nate> hackingsociety (reverseengineeringsociety?) to work on perhaps?
>Nate> :-)
>
>humm... do you have any pointers to this? It looks to me like
>everything is supported...

Could be... again, can't find any reference as to how to get a Lucent
card into true AP mode (true AP mode handles telling remote cards when
they can "sleep" for power saving, etc.

>Nate> .. snip..
>Nate> Of course, the security implications are kinda "interesting",
>Nate> and carrier's Acceptable Use Policies might get injured in the
>Nate> filming of this segment.  :-)
>
>yeah... very true. Too bad WEP is so broken.

Yeah, WEP's hosed.  :-)

I figure if you want to sit within range of my AP and sniff enough
traffic to crack it, you want network access a hell of a lot worse than
I thought, anyway, though.  :-)

Anyway...

Nate