[lug] cheap 802.11b for linux...

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Mar 21 15:17:46 MST 2002

Rob Nagler wrote:

>>TNC isn't the most popular connector, and it is only somewhat better than
>>a BNC.  At these frequencies neither is a very good connector.
>>

>No choice here.  The TNC is on the Linksys.  The BNC is on the
>antenna ( http://www.superpass.com/SPDG16O.html )
>
>Nate said something about wire.  I'm using RG-58, which I assume is
>bad even for a less than 6ft?

RG-58 at 2.4 Ghz is just a leaky sieve.  Very little of the very little
power the cards put out will make it to the antenna.  However with the
attic mount thing, since received signals should do okay, it may still
just work and it's a lot cheaper than running heliax or similar.  It's
so cheap in fact, it's worth a try.  Just keep it in mind that if your
clients aren't receiving you very well it could be from loss in the
cable going to the antenna.  Try to keep that run as very short as possible.

><snip...>
>
>I've been to Saunders, and their grounding cable seems very
>expensive.   I would like a roof tripod for my antenna.  I'm hoping to
>get away with flat mounting the flat panels that the client sites.
>All of this is subject experimentation.  :-)

For grounding cable, you want braided or flat copper anyway.  Tear up
that RG-58 and use the braid for grounding.  (GRIN)

>Someone else mentioned weather as important factor.  What I found is
>that obstacles, especially trees, are the key factors.  I need to test
>the placement when the cottonwoods are full.

Water vibrates nicely and heats up at 2.4Ghz instead of passing it
through, doesn't it?  (That cup of coffee only takes about 30 seconds to
boil in your microwave... heh.)  Trees are full of water.

Amateur radio 1.2 Ghz repeaters (not even as high as 802.11b at 2.4 Ghz)
all work better during the wintertime when there's no leaves on the
trees I hear, too... never had any 1.2 gear though.  (GRIN)

<snip>

Nate