[lug] cheap 802.11b for linux...

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Mar 21 17:35:13 MST 2002

Someone had mentioned the question of newer 5 GHz equipment. Just today
a PC Mall catalogue arrived, advertising "The first 802.11a LAN with
data rates as fast as 54Mbps". It's the Intal PRO/Wireless 5000 LAN
family. The access point is $390, a cardbus adapter is $157, a PCI
adapter is $192, and a "starter kit" with one access point and 2 cards
is $630. It says 128-bit WEP security, which sounds nice (at least for a
few months till cracking gets easier), and even says that with an
optional kit it can provide simultaneous 802.11a and 802.11b.

"J. Wayde Allen" wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Rob Nagler wrote:
>
> > No choice here.  The TNC is on the Linksys.  The BNC is on the
> > antenna ( http://www.superpass.com/SPDG16O.html )
> > I've built some power-over-ethernet modules.  My plan is to mount the
> > Linksys on the inside of the roof just below the antenna and so the
> > only coax would be the length from the antenna through the roof.
>
> That ought to work.

It might not be nearly as good as it sounds, if the attic space reaches
high temperatures in summer, it could be a serious problem on life of
product. I'd be very careful about temperature spec's. Even if it
doesn't kill the hardware, it might not be in the best performance shape
after a few cycles from -20 F to +130 F or more. Unless it is milspec
(and maybe even then), I'd plan on trying to add some form of
environment control for temperature.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com