[lug] OT: Avaya Card Performance -- Was: cheap 802.11b for linux...

rise rise at knavery.net
Thu Mar 21 18:21:01 MST 2002

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Nate Duehr wrote:

> Ouch.  That does sound like the antenna's hosed.
>
> Interesting that an external antenna still works through the connector,
> though.

Shouldn't it?  AFAIK they're largely electrically separate.  I don't know
how the Orinoco's implement internal/external antenna switching but one
would hope a sane design wouldn't be a problem.  Now if Archer's card is
well tuned for picking up noise post-crackup it could be another story.

> Ahhh... now THIS is the kind of stuff we're all here to learn!  :-)  I'm
> going to go find that and download it tonight!  :-)

http://www.jm-music.de/projects.html

Wavemon is great.  I've (rarely) segfaulted it, but in general it's
lightweight, fast, and pretty (for values of pretty == "I like colorful
curses interfaces") and it seems to me that there's got to be some use for
a link monitor that you can read from across the room when it's run on a
console...

Jonathan Conway						      rise at knavery.net

	 "You really don't want to leave a logo on a victim."