OT: Re: [lug] cheap 802.11b for linux...

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Mar 22 09:10:35 MST 2002

Couple of thoughts.

You can't use RG-6.  It's 75 ohm impedance.

RG-213 is double-shielded, which is where it gets its lower loss from,
kinda a pain to crimp together properly, but works.

Experimentation with this is good, you'll find a combination of good
connectors that connect nicely to your favorite brand of coax.  Not all
the good stuff is listed there on those pages either.  LMR400 is
excellent and not listed, and there are others.  Some are more plentiful
and actually cheaper in small quantities than others.

Look carefully at the sizes also, you'll be surprised at the diameter
size differences available.  Typically bigger *usually* means lower loss
because as you move toward "hardline" you move more and more toward air
as the dielectric.  The other post from Dan did a good job of explaining
that, though.

Waaaaaaaay off topic now, sorry all...

Nate