[lug] cheap 802.11b for linux...

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Fri Mar 22 11:14:12 MST 2002

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, D. Stimits wrote:

> Someone had mentioned the question of newer 5 GHz equipment. Just today
> a PC Mall catalogue arrived, advertising "The first 802.11a LAN with
> data rates as fast as 54Mbps". It's the Intal PRO/Wireless 5000 LAN
> family. The access point is $390, a cardbus adapter is $157, a PCI
> adapter is $192, and a "starter kit" with one access point and 2 cards
> is $630. It says 128-bit WEP security, which sounds nice (at least for a
> few months till cracking gets easier), and even says that with an
> optional kit it can provide simultaneous 802.11a and 802.11b.

Cool - Thanks!

> It might not be nearly as good as it sounds, if the attic space reaches
> high temperatures in summer, it could be a serious problem on life of
> product. I'd be very careful about temperature spec's.

Yes, temperature spec.'s would need to be considered.

> Even if it doesn't kill the hardware, it might not be in the best
> performance shape after a few cycles from -20 F to +130 F or more.
> Unless it is milspec (and maybe even then), I'd plan on trying to add
> some form of environment control for temperature.

Heat would be the biggest problem I think.  Cold would be an issue if you
had a hard drive.  There used to be some problems with freezing of the
liquids in electrolytic capacitors, but these days those tend to be made
out of tantalum and I don't think would be a problem.  Temperature cycling
could cause problems do to the expansion and contraction of the connectors
and solder joints.  However, on a practical note, my neighbor has been
running an 802.11 system based on a (cisco ?) router in the rafters of his
garage for several years.  The garage is not insulated or temperature
controled so this system sees some significant temperature fluctuations.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)