[lug] cheap 802.11b for linux...

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Fri Mar 22 10:37:14 MST 2002

> I think heat could cause problems, and I know my attic gets very hot in
> the summer.  A box mounted outside under he eves would be protected from
> the direct sun, rain and snow, and should run cooler.  I don't think that
> freezing temperatures would be a problem.

OK, now I'm getting it.  My plan was to mount the antenna on the very
peak.  I've very steep roof, but if I put the antenna on the north
side I could hide the box just under a little eve.  The way I read
your message is that airflow is better outside the house.

On the more programming side (I'm stretching it here), the Linksys
access points are exceptionally cool (metaphorically, not physically),
because you can connect them in bridging mode.  A single master
access point can serve multiple slave access points.  This means I can
use the same hardware at the clients as is in my attic.  The
modularity allows me to configure power over ethernet, weatherproof
boxes, etc. all the same.  Since this is a very low budget operation,
this saves me a lot of time and money.

That being said, there are more powerful access points.  I don't have
the cash to try out a Cisco box for fun.  Does anybody have experience
with the more high-powered access points in WIN (wireless internet
neighborhood(tm)) configurations?

Rob