OT: Re: [lug] cheap 802.11b for linux...

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Mar 22 13:37:29 MST 2002

"J. Wayde Allen" wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Nate Duehr wrote:
>
> > You can't use RG-6.  It's 75 ohm impedance.
>
> At least not without suffering mismatch problems or needing to use an
> impedance matching network.
>
> > RG-213 is double-shielded, which is where it gets its lower loss from,
>
> Shielding shouldn't directly affect loss.  At least, I can't see why ...?

Think of the skin effect at higher frequencies. Direct current flows
through the center of a conductor, but as frequency goes up, electrons
go to the outer edge of the conductor. If the frequency goes up high
enough, you can actually get competition for space for the electrons
being pushed hard to the outer edge. The more braided edge I would say
the better for the GHz stuff. I suspect that as things go higher and
higher in frequency, the physical shape becomes more important to the
point that a perfect polished pipe might actually be more important than
the braided surface, just because of the radiation patterns.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com