[lug] cheap 802.11b for linux...

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Fri Mar 22 14:44:46 MST 2002

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, D. Stimits wrote:

> Right, spread spectrum. One could use a sweep generator from lowest to
> highest frequency, and plot that out, or measure power output from a
> uniform noise generator, and graph it for some form of measuring actual
> throughput (no, not practical).

Basically what you want is the complex reflection coefficient, SWR doesn't
provide enough information to do much with.  Your noise approach would be
OK to determine path insertion loss, but will give you no information
about mismatch.  I'll leave it here since this is sounding a lot like what
I call work, and I could get (have already gotten ?) really carried away
talking about RF metrology.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)