[lug] cheap 802.11b for linux...

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Mar 22 14:53:04 MST 2002

Rob Nagler wrote:

> > So I see (I've never used wireless computer equipment). I would guess
> > though that some wireless LAN access points are purely wireless, and do
> > not offer ethernet taps, and have as their only communications the
> > wireless signal (don't know, never really shopped for this).
>
> I haven't seen a purely wireless access point.  There are a number of
> problems with interference, I guess, which prevents manufacturers from
> offering this option.
>
> I have thought of building a dual access point gizmo which would allow
> me to keep the cables and shortest possible.  Running power is the
> problem.  Could go solar/battery, but this is more technology than it
> is worth imo.  In the environments I'm working in, I have ready access
> to power and hardware on the roof is the bigger problem.  Punching a
> hole to run ethernet with power is easy.

Now here's an interesting product I wouldn't mind inventing (if I had
money): An optical 10/100 ethernet bridge plate. Glue one to each side
of a glass window (and the window can be hermetically sealed or argon
filled pairs) with one being an inside version and the other an
all-weather outdoor version. I imagine there is also a fairly good
market for consumer grade 802.11 weather-proof housings with some form
of heat control, with options like the solar/battery you mention above.
Would anyone buy it?

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com