[lug] windows on windows for linux?

Peter Hutnick peter at fpcc.net
Sun Mar 24 17:56:59 MST 2002

On Sunday 24 March 2002 05:42 am, Chan Kar Heng wrote:
> greetings.
>
> would anyone know of something that might be equivalent
> to WOW64 (windows on windows 64) layer for linux?
> or maybe the approach taken for migration to 64 bit
> platform for linux?

I'm talking out of my backside, but it's Sunday, so you probably won't get
any good responses 'till tomorrow anyway.

I think that this is a "problem" that no one really cares about very much.

Think about it.  A significant percentage of "Linux" from the kernel down to
"ls" have been running on 64 bit machines for quite some time.  The compiler
works.  There is really no problem.  Why would you emulate 32 bit linux on a
64 bit machine when there are already distros out there for ia64 and you
can't even get the hardware yet?  (see
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.2/en/os/ia64 (couldn't find an ISO)
and http://www.linuxiso.org/mandrake.html (down at the bottom there are ia64
"install" and "extras" ISOs.))

Of course the remaining problem is how to run proprietary software intended
for x86 on it.  I think that "the community" largely doesn't care.  We didn't
tell you to run proprietary software in the first place.  The answer is
probably going to end up being one of 1. buy the "new" version 2. keep a x86
around to run it 3. talk your vendor into porting it for free (ha!) 4. write
or find a free replacement 5. learn to live without it.

If a thunkarific x86 emulator becomes available it will probably be a
commercial app, and only used by people who "need" a proprietary app that is
not available in an ia64 port.  (i.e. the vendor is defunct or is not
planning (or delivering) an ia64 port)

Dem's da breaks.

-Peter