[lug] windows on windows for linux?

Chan Kar Heng karheng at softhome.net
Mon Mar 25 07:48:48 MST 2002

>> would anyone know of something that might be equivalent
>> to WOW64 (windows on windows 64) layer for linux?
>> or maybe the approach taken for migration to 64 bit
>> platform for linux?
>
>I'm talking out of my backside, but it's Sunday, so you probably won't get
>any good responses 'till tomorrow anyway.
>
>I think that this is a "problem" that no one really cares about very much.

certainly seems that way alright.. :)
seems everyone is just happy with recompile..
as also mentioned in the other 2 replies and
my first post..

>Think about it.  A significant percentage of "Linux" from the kernel down to
>"ls" have been running on 64 bit machines for quite some time.  The compiler
>works.  There is really no problem.  Why would you emulate 32 bit linux on a
>64 bit machine when there are already distros out there for ia64 and you
>can't even get the hardware yet?  (see
>ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.2/en/os/ia64 (couldn't find an ISO)
>and http://www.linuxiso.org/mandrake.html (down at the bottom there are ia64
>"install" and "extras" ISOs.))

yeah.. i'd agree this isn't the problem area...
in fact, source codes seem to be too widely available.

>Of course the remaining problem is how to run proprietary software intended
>for x86 on it.  I think that "the community" largely doesn't care.  We didn't
>tell you to run proprietary software in the first place.  The answer is
>probably going to end up being one of 1. buy the "new" version 2. keep a x86
>around to run it 3. talk your vendor into porting it for free (ha!) 4. write
>or find a free replacement 5. learn to live without it.
>
>If a thunkarific x86 emulator becomes available it will probably be a
>commercial app, and only used by people who "need" a proprietary app that is
>not available in an ia64 port.  (i.e. the vendor is defunct or is not
>planning (or delivering) an ia64 port)

well, this domain is the one that made me asked
this question in the first place... certainly
sounds like a no win situation for proprietary
software owners...

rgds,

kh