[lug] BMW picks CE, not Linux

Rob Mohr robmohr at earthnet.net
Mon Mar 25 11:36:12 MST 2002

Hello LUG,

A news blurp in IBD (Investors' Business Daily) last week reports that
Microsoft is in 9 automobile models, including BMW, with an expected 24
cars by next year.

I am surprised a bit about BMW going with CE; I thought Linux was more
popular in Europe.  Question, can't the auto companies pay for upfront
linux development, similar to buying hard tooling to stamp out the
fenders, instead of going to Redmond for CE.  Auto companies have a
reputation for squeezing the pennies, nickels, and dimes out of their tier
one suppliers.  CE has to be an expensive way to go, no?

I guess the other question is similar to standard transmission or stick
shift.  Does the car buyer have the option *not* to have CE as the onboard
OS?  Or if I wipe the hard drive, does that void the warranty?

(I did not see anything about this on SlashDot; could be they were
scooped?)

eof