[lug] ISP for antispam recommendations?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Mar 27 20:41:27 MST 2002

LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu wrote:

> I don't have an ISP recomendation, but a friend of mine was battling the same
> problem.  He found the following (pay) service on the Net.  As I understand it,
> you can setup any number of e-mail addresses that you can then send to friends
> to use to send you e-mail.

Unemployed, I'm not going to pay a protection fee to stop an abuse, but
I am willing to do it myself where it gains something. I've been losing
ground, I get a dozen or so per day banned, open relays tested and
blacklisted, so on. Yet it seems to double every few weeks. Mostly
non-English.

> He says then he can tell which e-mail address was "accidentally" forwarded to a
> spam list.  Apparently, when we all forward jokes around, some people collect
> all the addys on the joke "list" and sell them.  He also said that this service
> has a pretty robust spam filtering system.  Then, he just has all the mail
> forwarded to one mail account of his choosing, we don't know what that is:
>
> http://www.mailshell.com/mail/client/fd.html?ref=mysticbeach
>
> I think they have a free service (if you don't mind ads).  When you pay for the
> service all the ads go away.

Someone else commented on other problems with the terms of service, I'd
kind of have to agree. Even if I had the money to pay for this, I
wouldn't agree to this particular service. It's the right idea, but I
really wish I had an ISP that before it marks an email as delivered, it
checks my personal filter rules, and rejects mail by bouncing it when it
fails the rules. My ISP has basically said (and they live on Windows)
that there is no such software such that their company could afford it.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com