[lug] ISP for antispam recommendations?

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Wed Mar 27 21:29:49 MST 2002

D. Stimits writes:
 > LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu wrote:
 > >
 > > I don't have an ISP recomendation, but a friend of mine was battling the same
 > > problem.  He found the following (pay) service on the Net.  As I understand it,
 > > you can setup any number of e-mail addresses that you can then send to friends
 > > to use to send you e-mail.
 >
 > Unemployed, I'm not going to pay a protection fee to stop an abuse, but
 > I am willing to do it myself where it gains something. I've been losing
 > ground, I get a dozen or so per day banned, open relays tested and
 > blacklisted, so on. Yet it seems to double every few weeks. Mostly
 > non-English.

Have you tried Vipul's Razor <http://razor.sourceforge.net/>?  It is a
collaborative filtering tool.  It was pretty easy to set up, but I've
only been running it for a day and can't tell yet if it is working.

True, it is a solution on your end of the phone line, so not ideal,
but it should automate most of the solution.  And you are a perfect
candidate for it.  As spam leaks through you can send a notice back to
the razor server and it will be banned ever after.

I am using the rbl, but a lot still gets through.  I'm hoping that
Vipul's Razor will get the rest.

--Michael