[lug] open port

Riggs, Rob RRiggs at doubleclick.net
Thu Mar 28 08:42:39 MST 2002

FYI, AOL is now ignoring AUTH connections. Soon this won't be a problem,
because everyone that needs to communicate via email to AOL acccounts will
begin to turn off IDENT checking on their MTAs.

Personally, I think AUTH stinks. It is only valid in a trusted environment.
It made sense when everyone logged in to a central server to read and send
mail. When 99% of all mail is composed on individual workstations and
relayed through a central server, it is a waste of bandwidth.

So, help speed the demise of IDENT and continue to *ignore* those packets.
You won't here me say this often, but I applaud AOL for their decision. It
was ultimately a wise one. (I was not so happy when I first found out about
it, but I've come around.)

-Rob