[lug] pppd dropping after connection

rise rise at knavery.net
Thu Mar 28 12:32:44 MST 2002

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Elyse Grasso wrote:

> What's odd is that my desktop Linux machine came up fine with the
> new values.  When I set up kppp on the laptop (where I was having
> the wvdial problems) it worked fine, even though wvdial still fails
> there.
>
> I think there may be something odd about the connection to the
> pcmcia modem in the laptop, vs the PCI internal modem in the desktop
> machine. (And I'm pretty sure whatever it is broke between RedHat
> 7.0 and 7.1. The upgrade to 7.1 is when the wvdial and related apps
> started to be a bit flakey on the laptop.)

I doubt this is your primary problem, but it might be confusing the
issue:

I've had a continuing issue with FRII (though I like them a lot and
have stuck with them) wherein my PCMCIA modem has issues with at least
one port on their out-sourced dialin servers[0].  Most commonly this
manifests as a long connect time, very slow/lossy connection, and
eventually a dropped connection but it has occasionally shown up as a
really long connect time and failed authentication.  If I do encounter
the problem edialing a few times usually gets me a good connection.

[0] Or vice versa.  My modem has no issues with any other provider
    I've tried, didn't use to have a problem with FRII, and they claim
    they haven't gotten any other reports of this issue.

Jonathan Conway						      rise at knavery.net
history is paling & my surge protection failed, & so I FRIED
						- Concrete Blonde, "Fried"