[lug] open port

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Thu Mar 28 12:57:16 MST 2002

I have run into a similar situation in the past, although I wasn't running
any firewall, so the port wasn't blocked.  Specifically, when attempting
to circumvent using the ISP smtp server as a relay due to reliability
issues (lost mail, server being down a lot - an MS system, of course) I
was encountering a problem where attempting to send mail to hotmail.com
addresses and a few others was failing due to the failure of the hotmail
server system to "authenticate" me via identd.  Although I have since
switched my local ISP and service seems more reliable (however, there are
still many times when I their router or smtp server makes life annoying),
I would still like to figure out why my system won't respond to ident
requests.

My boot log showed that in.identd was starting, and /etc/hosts.allow was
set to pass the requests with "ALL : in.identd"

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net