[lug] samba

j davis davis_compz at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 29 14:51:25 MST 2002

i can browse it amd i never get promted for a passwd...also
when i log in as root on my windoz box, wich authenticates aginst
my samba box, i can click on the printer in n.n. or prinetr settings
and i get the responce that the printer is ready but it still errors out
when i try to print a testpage, otherwise i log in as bushwick and
prinetr is access is denied but all my samba shares are still there , and
drives still get mapped and pdc still works???? hers my conf and i use rh7.1
sorry to rambel. parts of smb.conf below...as for printing wihout cups
usinf\g samba.....my smb.conf specifies to use cups
none of my linux boxes running 7.1 could print before i installed
ghostscript and cups

thanks for your help,
jd

   netbios name = FIRE

# netbios name is the name you will see in "Network Neighbourhood",
# but defaults to your hostname
;  netbios name = <name_of_this_server>

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   server string = Samba Server %v

# 2. Printing Options:
# CHANGES TO ENABLE PRINTING ON ALL CUPS PRINTERS IN THE NETWORK
# (as cups is now used in linux-mandrake 7.2 by default)
# if you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
   printcap name = lpstat
   load printers = yes

# It should not be necessary to spell out the print system type unless
# yours is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
# bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx, cups
   printing = cups

# Samba 2.2 supports the Windows NT-style point-and-print feature. To
# use this, you need to be able to upload print drivers to the samba
# server. The printer admins (or root) may install drivers onto samba.
# Note that this feature uses the print$ share, and not the printers #share,
# so you will need to enable it below.
# This parameter works like domain admins:
# printer admin = @<group> <user>
;   printer admin = @adm

# 3. Logging Options:
# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
   max log size = 50
# When using security = domain, you should use password server = *
   password server = *

# Password Level allows matching of _n_ characters of the password for
# all combinations of upper and lower case.
  password level = 8
  username level = 8

# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
# ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
# Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
# Encrypted passwords are required for any use of samba in a Windows NT
domain
# The smbpasswd file is only required by a server doing authentication, thus
# members of a domain do not need one.
  encrypt passwords = yes
  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
# Where to store roaming profiles for WinNT and Win2k
#        %L substitutes for this servers netbios name, %U is username
#        You must uncomment the [Profiles] share below
   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
send PostScript ("Generic PostScript Printer" under Windows), you have
to swap the 'print command' line below with the commented one.
printers]
  comment = All Printers
  path = /var/spool/cups
  browseable = no
to allow user 'guest account' to print.
  guest ok = yes
  writable = no
  printable = yes
#  create mode = 0700
=====================================
print command: see above for details.
=====================================
  print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r   # using client side printer
dr$
#  print command = lpr-cups -P %p %s # using cups own drivers (use generic
Pos$
  lpq command = lpstat -o %p
  lprm command = cancel %p-%j

#[hp]