[lug] open port

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Mar 29 21:30:13 MST 2002

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 05:08:28PM -0700, D. Stimits wrote:
>I completely disagree. The idea of opening up unneeded ports is very
>valid, but I doubt anyone actually *relies* on it. It is always an

The annoying thing is that many IRC servers *DO* seem to rely on it.  For
example, it seems that most efnet servers wouldn't allow you to connect if
ident was blocked.  I stopped using efnet because I simply got tired of
trying to find servers that would let me on without ident.  My firewall
doesn't have the information necessary to do valid ident responses, and I
didn't want to muck with making the ident daemon return some meaningless
value.

Ident is truely useless...  For this weeks BLUG hacking society I built a
new IRC server for the community.tummy.com box and limited it to 3 seconds
for an IDENT response -- if it doesn't get one in that time, it just gives
up and lets you in.

Sean
--
 A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human
 history -- with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.