[lug] VNC serving KDE?

Peter Hutnick peter at fpcc.net
Sat Mar 30 00:50:03 MST 2002

On Saturday 30 March 2002 12:21 am, Glenn Murray wrote:
> I'm trying to get a vncserver working from a KDE desktop for a
> presentation next week.  I'm having the problem of seeing gray static with
> a cursor.  The VNC FAQ says I need to put "startkde&" into ~/.vnc/startx,
> this didn't help.  I scoured the web, but no luck.  The client machines
> are various OS's.  Has anyone managed to do this?

Yup.

I'm on Red Hat, so YMMV.

I simply replace:

$defaultXStartup
    = ("#!/bin/sh\n\n".
       "xrdb \$HOME/.Xresources\n".
       "xsetroot -solid grey\n".
       "xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title \"\$VNCDESKTOP Desktop\" &\n".
       "twm &\n");

by:

$defaultXStartup
    = ("#!/bin/sh\n\n".
       "/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc &");

that will square you away on new users.  For users that are already set up
for VNC change the contents of ~/.vnc/xstartup to:

#!/bin/sh
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc &

Anyway I hope you get the idea.  You need to do your normal X init stuff in
~/.vnc/xstartup.

Another hint.  I don't know if it was a bug in KDE or VNC, but it used to be
that KDE would crash for me on startup with VNC in 8 bit color mode.  If you
experience this the easy work around is to switch the server to 16 bit color
and set the client to "restrict to 256 colors" or however that option is
labeled.  Or if you are on a fast connection just burn twice the bandwidth.
;-)

Good luck.

-Peter