[lug] OT: CPP question

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Mar 30 19:00:22 MST 2002

"Sexton, George" wrote:

> Actually I am pre-processing a SQL Script into multiple variants. I.E. SQL
> Server, Postgresql, Oracle, etc. Hence the single quotes. I have never tried
> to use M4. I will have to look at it.

I'd be tempted to write a Makefile that runs whatever needs to be done.
Makefiles are not just for compiling, they can automate other things.
E.G., sed, awk, M4, perl, the C-preprocessor, so on, can be invoked in a
mixed heterogeneous way. To some extent it is easier to do this than to
use a Makefile for its more popular features, since it doesn't require
knowing and using all of the Makefile's builtin variables and
such...just specify a target, and new line, tab, tell it the command.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com