[lug] IP: FCC forces Ham radio operators to use Windows (fwd from: dave at farber.net)

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Apr 1 17:56:04 MST 2002

I just went poking around on the site, and this appears to kinda be FUD.
The ULS system is mostly gone now, replaced with CORES and FRN numbers,
and I haven't found any pages that are not letting me "in" with either
Netscape or Mozilla on a RH 7.x machine.  [Well, I did later... read on.]

One page is whining about needing to enable Java (not Javascript) in
Mozilla before entering the filing system... hmmm... something I forgot to
do on this machine...

Ah... found it.  In the ULS online pages for initial registration there's
an error message "This plugin only runs on Win95/NT."  So it's a plugin
thing.  And the pages for updates don't appear to use the plugin.

There's probably a proper plugin for Linux out there, and it just needs to
be loaded... I'm not going to mess with it... but I am grumpy about the
issue -- here's my real beef:

For those trying to make it a Winblows vs. Linux thing, the site works
fine on my Mac.  :-)  Netscape and Explorer... at least last time I
updated my license info.  Because if I remember correctly I had similar
problems with the site and just tried it on the Mac and... it worked.
Under MacOS.  Of course, the same problems would resurface under Linux on
that Mac.  Haven't tried under OSX.

But anyway, once we take away the misinformation that there's some
sinister play to support Microsoft at work in the FCC (FUD) and look at
the real root cause, there's still a problem.  A lack of web developers in
professional positions willing to follow the standards because they can do
"neat" stuff if they use the browser-specific crap-ola.

Also, the FCC could have simply required W3C HTML standards be followed
(or even proposed standards during development if it takes them that long
to build their sites) when their site was designed, but they didn't.
Agreed...  but someone wanted the site to look pretty for "the boss"
somewhere.

The website is not well designed, but not many are.  The really gross one
is that it also includes bug information in the source code...  (they put
their bug numbers in sections of the source that's viewable by the
public... "fixes bug #12345" type stuff... uhhhh duhhh?)... yuck.

But I'm pretty sure in the past I've usually been able to navigate it okay
with SOME browser in Linux -- not always the SAME browser I started with
on the site.

Agreed that they should be looking at interoperability more than they
do.   Having to have three browsers loaded to get through the site is
kinda silly... but nothing to freak out about.  If theirs were the only
site that blew up my Linux browsers, and if the Linux browser folks didn't
have the source sitting right there in front of them to fix many of the
interoperability issues, (instead we get a new browser and desktop every
year instead of quality ones -- why is that I wonder?), I'd start worrying
then.

Yes, that "Windows only" plugin is a definite faux-paux, but I bet if you
read their web logs that 99%+ of their traffic is from M$ Windows users on
M$ browsers.  That's not the FCC's fault -- we all know THAT problem is
more the SEC's fault than the FCC's.  The FCC is just a big dumb slow
organization building their website to match their userbase.

Nate, nate at natetech.com