[lug] linux/tcsh question

Keith Herold Herold at Colorado.EDU
Mon Apr 1 18:27:00 MST 2002

Well, I tried your tests and redirecting just files is fine (although I got
a 'file 'foo'' does not exist using rpm; I replaced foo with every shell
name I could think of), it's only when I run my code and try to redirect its
output.  I suppose the code could be blocking; the input sources are a file
(hardcoded in) and some network ports(created by the code at runtime) but,
the sendto and receive calls are after some printing.  It doesn't seem like
the program is working at all when I redirect the output, since I ran one in
the background and then ran top; the program name doesn't show up.  I also
ran ps -aux and it keeps reading 0:00 for TIME.

Why should redirection cause the problem?  If I don't try to redirect, it
all runs perfectly (I don't ever have input from stdin).

--Keith