[lug] DNS problems

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Tue Apr 2 12:59:57 MST 2002

>>>>> "Wayde" == J Wayde Allen <wallen at lug.boulder.co.us> writes:

Wayde> I took a look at things, and it seems that for whatever reason
Wayde> her system is not able to find the DNS servers.  At first I was
Wayde> a bit surprised that the resolv.conf file was empty, but once
Wayde> KPPP dials the modem and connects it copies the correct
Wayde> nameserver entries into the file.  I was able to connect to
Wayde> some known machines using raw IP addresses, and creating an
Wayde> entry for one of these in her host table solves the problem for
Wayde> that one machine.

Wayde> So ... any suggestions about what I should have her check next?

test those nameservers (that KPPP fetched) to make sure they're
functioning.  (maybe using "nslookup", although "dig" and "host" are
supposed to replace it eventually.)

try a known good nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf, after you've
connected.

t.