[lug] DNS problems

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Tue Apr 2 13:53:31 MST 2002

>>>>> "Wayde" == J Wayde Allen <wallen at lug.boulder.co.us> writes:

Wayde> I did look at netstat -r to be sure she was getting a route.
Wayde> It took a while, but the table did update.  Seemed OK, but I'm
Wayde> not particularly well versed in how to read these listings.

next time, try "netstat -rn" instead.  if you don't have the "-n",
netstat tries to look up the names of each address involved; since
the name resolution is screwed up, it's just timing out (typically
30s) on each name.

Wayde> Mostly I was interested in knowing that she was actually
Wayde> getting dialup IP address assigned.

it's probably faster to do:

   /sbin/ifconfig -a

and look for ppp0 (?).

t.