[lug] ISP for antispam recommendations?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Apr 2 17:24:17 MST 2002

I'm a bit slow in replying to some of my mail lately.

Daniel Webb wrote:

> Any place that gives you a shell account with a dialup is going to have
> procmail (I would hope).  Procmail is your friend.  A nice procmail spam
> filter is SpamBouncer:
> http://www.spambouncer.org
>
> One problem I have had with it is that it is sometimes too strict, sending
> one or two good messages in the the "block" folder.  If you have important
> contacts you don't want to even be delayed until you get around to
> scanning the blocks folder, you can use procmail to send those to the
> inbox before any other scanning takes place.  Spambouncer is a nice way to
> get into procmail with a less steep learning curve.  It is very easy to
> set up, and you don't need to know procmail to get it going.  It looks
> from the web site that the work on it isn't as active as it used to be.
> Maybe that's because it's "good enough" now.
>
> Also, you said in one of your other emails that it took a very long time
> to delete 200 spams.  What mail program are you using?  Hotmail?  If you
> are sending complaints to the upstream provider on each one, I can
> understand it.  I just hope you're not using a Windows mail program :)

I have filters to different folders. I use Netscape on RH 7.1 I have not
used windows for any email in a couple of years.

> Are you a regular newgroup poster?  Why are you getting so much spam?

I post on BLUG a lot. Not often, but sometimes on
comp.os.linux.whatever. These spams are in Korean, Mandarin Chinese, and
a few other foreign languages that I do not speak. I have never posted
or visited public forums of non-English language, I don't speak any
language other than English. About half of the spams use character sets
my email can't even display. The question of why I am getting so much
spam is often related to public posts, but for the life of me, I cannot
figure out how or why non-English lists are targeting me. My biggest
conclusion here is that I go after spammers, and English speaking
spammers in USA or countries with rules can be dealt with, whereas there
is absoutely nothing to stop this massive wildfire in non-English
speaking countries that don't give a *#$@ what Americans think and have
no inclination to help. The funny thing is that the European countries
are *very* responsive and quite courteous, perhaps even more so than
American ISP's. I believe Korean and Chinese and Taiwan businesses have
a completely different concept of how to market and run business,
promoting the spam abuse as a way of life, not thinking of it as "a bad
thing" or as abuse, so they just keep on doing it.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com