[lug] ISP for antispam recommendations?

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Thu Apr 4 09:29:51 MST 2002

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 08:53:40AM -0700, Matt Clauson wrote:
> > I'm always getting folks from xxxx.wanadoo.fr probing my FTP service.  I
> had
> > one who was so persistent I I found it necessary to deny access in
> > /etc/ftpaccess.  I don't know if they're doing bonafide research or if
> > they're harboring hackers.
>
> I don't feel comfortable going into many details, but we do see an
> inordinate number of intrusion attempts from *.wanadoo.fr where I work -- I
> don't know if they've just got a lot of vulnerable boxes that are being used
> as springboards, or what.

Maybe just dialin accounts. Over here (in europe) the majority of users connect
via (ISDN)  dialup connections (or ISDN-DSL) and get assigned IP addresses  that
resolve to something like <cryptic number>.provider.com . I'm currently visible
to the net under p508b67c3.dip.t-online.de, but that might change  any moment ...
About 80% of the attacks i see in my server logs are from such major dialin
providers (t-online.de, wanadoo.fr etc.).

 Ralf