[lug] smtps setup

Riggs, Rob RRiggs at doubleclick.net
Thu Apr 4 17:29:03 MST 2002

According to the stunnel man page, you need to give it "-n stmp" so that it
speaks SMTP. It does not seem to work for me, however. It just disconnects
as soon as I give it "STARTTLS".

220 .... ESMTP Sendmail 8.11.6/8.11.2; Thu, 4 Apr 2002 17:22:58 -0700 +
stunnel
STARTTLS
Connection closed by foreign host.

My Qmail server with Secure SMTP configured gives the following:

220 .... ESMTP
STARTTLS
220 ready for tls

The nice thing about SMTP over TLS is that you don't actually need the smtps
port (465). Since it's controlled by a "STARTTLS" SMTP command, it can run
across port 25 with no problem, and without interfereing with the
unencrypted protocol.

I'd consider getting the SMTP over TLS patches for your specific MTA rather
than using stunnel.

Also, the imap package shipped with Red Hat comes compiled with SSL support
in both the POP3 and IMAP daemons. No need to use stunnel there.
Interestingly, Sendmail is linked to the SSL libraries, but it does not
support "STARTTLS". How odd. Anyone know why it's linked against libssl?

-Rob