[lug] wireless points in Boulder

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Fri Apr 5 14:20:53 MST 2002

The folks at Boulder labs did a nice presentation on wireless networks
at yesterday's FRUUG meeting.  Here is partial map of downtown boulder:
http://www.boulderlabs.com/open-nets.html

The fact that anyone can even spoof mac addresses using 802.11b is
simply outrageous!  Let alone the failed attempts for encryption.  They
don't even have the numer of bits for encryption right!  Lucent's claim
if 128 bit is really 104 bit - 64bit is really 40 bit...

I had hopes for using this at our office a few years ago and completely
dropped it - I only use it for direct access to the public Internet.

Ferdinand

"Scott A. Herod" wrote:

> Apparently at a recent 2600 meeting in Boulder a list was
> passed around with approx. 300 local open wireless points.

Ferdinand Schmid
Architectural Energy Corporation
Celebrating 20 Years of Improving Building Energy Performance
http://www.archenergy.com